When we talk about slides we often associate it with equipment or fixtures that we find at the children’s playground. However, there are also those that can be found inside children’s activity centers. While our homes may not be spacious enough to accommodate a full sized slide, you will be amazed to find out that the 5 top indoor slides for toddlers in 2017 that we have meticulously researched will not really take too much of a space in your property. Check these out.
- 1 Our Top 5 Slides For Toddlers In 2017
- 2 Little Tikes First Slide, Red/Blue
- 3 Little Tikes First Slide, Red/Blue
- 4 Step2 All Star Sports Climber for Toddlers
- 5 Step2 All Star Sports Climber for Toddlers
- 6 Step2 Naturally Playful Big Folding Slide
- 7 Step2 Naturally Playful Big Folding Slide
- 8 Step2 Play Up Double Slide Climber
- 9 Step2 Play Up Double Slide Climber
- 10 Step2 Play and Fold Jr. Slide
- 11 Step2 Play and Fold Jr. Slide
Our Top 5 Slides For Toddlers In 2017
- Little Tikes First Slide, Red/Blue
- Step2 All Star Sports Climber for Toddlers
- Step2 Naturally Playful Big Folding Slide
- Step2 Play Up Double Slide Climber
- Step2 Play and Fold Jr. Slide
How We Chose the Best Indoor Slides for Toddlers in Our List
Coming up with a very comprehensive listing of the best and most amazing slides specifically designed and built for children between the ages of 18 months and 3 years old was never easy. We knew it was imperative for us to understand the unique physical developmental milestones of this particular age group of children to help ensure the products we choose are commensurate to the developmental level of such kids. You see, the developmental appropriateness of a kiddie product is especially crucial in the first 5 years of life as this is that period in a child’s life where he or she is developing physically, mentally, cognitively, socially, and emotionally. It is for this reason that the slides we include in the list are really appropriate for such kids.
Once we have determined the developmental appropriateness of these products relative to the growth and developmental milestones of 1.5 to 3 year old kids, we knew it was time to get right down to the nitty gritty stuff. Our first concern was the size of the product. Since it will be used indoors, we had to make sure that it will not take up the entirety of your child’s playroom. We did include two that will require substantial floor space designed especially for larger homes that may want to create a mini indoor playground for all of their kids and their kids’ friends.
Secondly, we took note of the sturdiness and stability of the slide. This is imperative as the muscle strength and sense of coordination and balance of this particular age group of children are still relatively in their developmental stage. Needless to say, safety is a paramount concern so we took note of the overall safety features that are embedded or are integrated into the design of such products.
Thirdly, the built-in features of the products were also evaluated carefully. Since were taking about a gadget that works on certain physical principles like gravity and motion, it was clear that the slickness of the slide surface is a definite must. If the surface is not smooth enough, kids’ clothing or apparel can get snagged in these surfaces and may lead to accidents. If the surface is overly slippery, on the other hand, then there is also a likelihood that kids might lose control and balance, also leading to possible accidents. Related to the slickness of the slide surface is the degree of incline. It should not be so steep that kids risk falling straight from the top.
Why Slides are Great for Toddlers
For many parents playing on slides is just that – a simple play. However, research shows that such activities can bring a lot of developmental benefits especially to toddlers and preschoolers. Here are some of the reasons why slides are great for toddlers’ development.
- Strengthens muscles of the extremities – Sliding is an excellent muscle strengthening activity for kids, especially toddlers. Climbing a playground slide requires strength both in the arms and in the legs. Toddlers are just beginning to make full use of their limbs as they were greatly dependent when they were still babies. Now, they have the opportunity to use these muscles to the fullest by grabbing onto handlebars and stepping onto the ladder’s steps and pushing themselves up.
- Enhances spatial awareness – Stepping up onto the next rung of steps require toddlers to have a fair sense of space. They are now learning to understand the relationship between the positioning of their feet and the immediate surroundings.
- Boosts visual motor coordination – Akin to the enhancement of spatial awareness is the continuing development of the toddler’s visual and motor coordination. What they see should be processed and integrated by their brain. This is then transmitted to the different muscles that initiate the movement. That’s why there must be coordination between visual input and the motor output.
- Introduces simple concepts of causal relationships – Toddlers don’t know it yet but sliding essentially lays the foundation for learning some concepts related to causality or cause and effect.
The Bottom Line
As much as possible we strongly recommend letting our kids play outdoors as there are simply more fun activities to be had. However, we also recognize the fact that our kids cannot go outdoors whenever they want to. As such, bringing their playground right inside the home can be the next best thing. One of our 5 top indoor slides for toddlers should be considered if you’re indeed planning on getting the playground inside your home.