More and more people are staying in touch with friends and family as well as doing a variety of their business and social transactions using internet-enabled mobile devices. While most will use the smartphone because of its ultra-portability and slimmer profile, there are those who prefer tablets because of its much larger screen. Educational institutions all over the world are now redesigning educational content to fit perfectly in tablet devices. That’s why we decided to share with you the 10 best tablets for kids in 2017 which you can use to help them in their optimum cognitive, social, and emotional development.
How We Chose the Best Tablets for Kids in Our List
Coming up with a collection of the best tablets for kids has been a real challenge since there are a lot of products that can easily vie for the title. However, we had to look at several things to help us provide you with a comprehensive list.
First on our list of parameters was the overall reception the product has generated over the course of its availability in the market. While those that have garnered thousands of positive reviews were automatically included in the final listing, we still looked at the performance of other products with respect to how well consumers evaluated them.
The second parameter in our list is the child-friendliness of the tablet’s user interface. Since tablets are touch-sensitive devices, it was crucial that the screen be sensitive enough to allow for ease of navigation and scrolling. Furthermore, it should also have adequate child-proofing technology especially if the device is primarily intended for younger kids. Adequate protection against sudden impacts and accidental falls were of paramount importance. For devices designed for older children who may already have a basic understanding of how to properly care for their electronic gadgets, shock proofing is not an absolute necessity but is nonetheless, a welcome option.
Third, we had to look at the educational content of these kid friendly tablets. While everything can be accessed on the internet, we thought that tablets with dedicated child-friendly websites and apps are a lot better alternatives to mainstream online content; although parental filtering options can still be setup. In addition to the educational value of these devices, we also looked at other built-in features which we think will benefit children in their discovery of the world around them. The developmental benefits of these features were individually analyzed to match the developmental patterns of the recommended age group of the device.
Tablet Technology and Kids’ Development
While there are some groups who strongly advise against the use of mobile technology in today’s child care and education, experts believe that we can still safeguard our children against some of the many pitfalls of these technologies. As there are risks, there are also a lot of learning benefits of tablets especially on kids’ development. Here are some of the things that today’s tablet technology can contribute to children’s development.
- The use of touchscreen technology greatly improves children’s motor skills including fine motor control, spatial intelligence, and hand eye coordination. The tactile nature of tablet screens can also aid in optimum sensorimotor development.
- Learning content found in tablets can help children with their reading and writing skills as well as give them the opportunity to try out their problem solving and numeracy skills through apps and games.
- For younger children, tablet apps can help lay the foundation for the recognition and mastery of letters, numbers, colors, and shapes which will form the basis of different cognitive processes in the future.
- Tablet applications can also help stimulate children’s imagination and creativity. This can help build their divergent thinking skills as well as logical and rational reasoning. These are crucial in the development of scientific problem solving skills.
- Tablet apps and programs can also expand on real-life experiences by providing your child with the opportunity to use the device in conjunction with both imaginative and physical play.
The Bottom Line
With education leaders and child care experts already weighing in on the issue as to whether a tablet or any other internet-enabled device is beneficial for kids or not, it’s not surprising that more and more parents are scrambling to find the best tablet for their kids. Just look at our 10 best tablets for kids and we guarantee you’ll find one just for your child.
You May Also Like