Children require optimum nutrition to support their development and growth. While we can always give them highly nutritious foods, it is equally important that we provide them with juices that are rich in nutrients and not just empty calories. Hopefully, with the 5 best juices for kids to drink in 2017 we’re sharing with you, you can get them started on a much healthier lifestyle that they’ll bring well into adulthood.
How We Chose the Best Juices for Children in Our List
Many of us often choose our drinks based on its flavor. It is very rare that we take the time to look at the nutritional value of these drinks. While some of us would really read the nutritional information in the packaging of drinks, not many understand the meaning and implications of the substances and numbers that are printed on the label. This is especially tricky when it comes to children since they are particularly vulnerable to nutritional deficiencies. As such, our very first criterion in this particular project is the nutritional value of these juices for kids. We wanted to make sure that every time your kids guzzle down these juices, they become healthier with each gulp. We know it’s far-fetched but it’s a step in the right direction.
Closely related to the nutritional value of these drinks is the safety of the other ingredients that may be included in the mix. Some would include artificial colorings, sweeteners, and preservatives. We clearly don’t want any of that for our children. This is why we considered a nutritious juice should also be safe and not contain any chemicals that may negate the benefits provided by its nutrients.
Of course, a juice drink, no matter how nutritious it can be, will fail in its purpose if it tastes awful. Knowing kids, their palates are a bit more choosy compared to ours because of their rather limited experiences related to different flavors and even scents. That’s why we chose products that we are sure kids will love and really enjoy drinking.
To help us determine the top 5, we only included products that have a consumer product rating of not less than 4 stars. We know it’s not really much but it should be sufficient for ensuring we get a product that’s also considered to be great by other consumers.
A Look at the Nutrients that Kids Need in Their Juices
Nutrition is very important for the survival of any organism, humans included. We won’t be here if not for these very small microscopic substances that form the very foundation of our existence. While grownups can derive their nutrition from a variety of sources, children are a different matter simply because they haven’t been exposed yet to a variety of tastes and flavors which can affect their nutrition. There are nutrients that all children must consume as these are considered to be the basic building blocks of their development. Understanding these nutrients for the growing years is essential to our caring for them. Here are some of them.
- Protein – All cells in our body require protein as this macronutrient is the fundamental building block of all things. Without it, cells will not be able to produce daughter cells and tissues will not be formed. That’s why it is always a good idea to get juices or any food item that is rich in this macronutrient to help ensure optimum growth.
- Calcium – Part of growing up is playing. Whether it is running or jumping or hopping or simply walking, we all need sturdy and strong bones to help minimize the effects of compression on these organs. We need a strong skeleton to support the muscles and the other organs of the body. And this is where calcium can be a very particularly great addition to our kids’ drinks. While milk is the best source of this mineral, there are now many juices that have been fortified with calcium.
- Iron – Not your Tony Stark kind of mineral but iron is a very essential mineral necessary for the synthesis of hemoglobin, a molecule that carries oxygen in the blood and brings this to the different cells. It is also the same molecule where carbon dioxide sits in on its way outside the body. All cells require oxygen. Without iron, it would be almost impossible to deliver oxygen to the cells.
- Vitamin A – Kids first learn about their world through their senses. And one of the most important senses is vision. It allows us to see everything around us so that our brains can try to interpret these visual cues. Vitamin A is thus crucial for the optimum development of children’s vision.
- Vitamin C – There are many benefits of Vitamin C. Aside from a boost in the immune system, it’s also important in strengthening the different cells of the body as well as in the establishment of stronger teeth and bones.
These are just some of the many nutrients that kids need to grow healthier and develop more optimally. It is our responsibility to make sure they obtain the right amounts of these nutrients on a daily basis.
The Bottom Line
Juices come in a variety of flavors and formulations. However, if we are to make sure our kids stay healthy while having a go at their favorite drinks, we might as well give then any of these 5 best juices for kids to drink in 2017.