These days, traveling is made faster for walking distances thanks to hover boards. You can go to the bus station or to school just by riding these electronic transportation devices. You can also buy one just for fun. However, not all hover boards can be used by kids. This is because some boards are heavy, very technical, and can reach high speeds that can be dangerous for your little ones. As parents, one of the first things you will consider in buying a hover board for your child is his or her safety when riding aside from other factors like price, performance, and weight. With that, here is a short list of hover boards that you can choose for your kid.
- 1 Razor Hovertrax 2.0 Self-balancing Smart Scooter
- 2 Swagtron T1 Electric Self-balancing Scooter
- 3 SagaPlay F1 Self-balancing Scooter
- 4 SWAGTRON T6 Off-Road Hoverboard
- 5 Veeko Self-balancing Hoverboard
- 6 Hoverheart Two-wheel Self-balancing Electric Scooter
- 7 Eyourlife Smart Hoverboard
Our Picks Of The Top Hover Boards for Kids
What to Look for When Buying a Hover board
Hover boards can be bought online or from several physical stores that sell the product. To make sure you are buying one that is in excellent condition and has met the safety standards, here are some tips on what to look for when buying a hover board. We put together a simple checklist:
- Look for the UL 2272 certification.
The UL certification was required after there were reports about some hoverboards exploding and causing fire. Since unsold products were recalled, finding a hoverboard without safety approval would mean that it is unsafe and you should not by it.
- Check the brand of the hoverboard.
Even if you are shopping online for a hoverboard, it will be very easy to check its brands. Remember that recognized manufacturers have longer warranty periods than the unbranded ones. Also, it will be easier to return a defective product that is branded than one that is not. Hoverboards are expensive and it is only proper to be cautious when buying one.
- Make sure the hoverboard comes with a manual mode that is efficient.
Every product must have this so that you will know how to use it, maintain it, and resolve issues that you might encounter when using it.
- Inspect the wheel size and weight capacity of the hoverboard.
The standard model is the 6.5 inch but if you are heavier and bigger than many adults, the 8 inch or 10 inch model will fit you best.
- Review the strong points and weak points.
You can do this by reading product reviews posted in the internet. Doing this is highly recommended whether you are buying online or from a store near you. There are hoverboards with parts that easily show signs of wear and tear such as scratches even if you have just used them for a few months. You will know this by reading reviews and comments made by people who have used the product.
Buying from US makers of hoveboards will enable you to return or exchange defective products because they can be sued if they refuse to observe these consumer rights. Companies outside the US might have their return and exchange policies written on the product labels but there is no guarantee that they will do their part.
Now that you already know what to look for when buying a hover board, you will be able to purchase one that is safe, durable, and easy to use. You will also be able to enjoy your right as a consumer to demand a replacement or refund for defective items that you paid for.
Safety Tips for Kids When Using a Hover board
Children love hoverboards and some of them can ride the device like a pro. However, no matter how good your child in riding a hoverboards, accidents can happen. In fact, in 2016 alone, some hospitals had recorded a considerable number of children confined due to injuries they sustained from accidents they were involved in while riding their hoverboard. Below are tips on how to prevent accidents with children.
- Buy a hoverboard that is recommended for your child’s weight and size. The ideal size for children aged five to eight years old is the 4.5 inch model. For teenagers, the 6.5 inch model is standard. Take note that the right size of hover board will determine your child’s safety.
- Provide basic instructions on how to use the hoverboard. Remember that getting on and off of it, is a delicate situation. Any wrong movement of the feet or body can cause a fall that can injure the child.
- Supervise your child while riding his hoverboard. If you cannot do it, always have someone with your child when he is riding so that someone will be able to help him if ever an accident occurs. Supervision is vital especially when your child is still a beginner.
- Always see to it that your kids are wearing safety gear when riding their hoverboard. Safety gears include a helmet, knee guards, elbow pads, and wrist protectors. The helmet will protect the head from getting injured when the child falls from his hoverboard.
When someone falls, his instinct is to break the fall by supporting his weight with his hands, knees, or elbows. The impact can cause serious injury to these parts of the body. This is why children riding hoverboards must have these protective gears on while riding. Consider these protective gears as investments to your child’s safety.
- Check if your child wears his helmet properly. It must fit the head comfortably and the side straps adjusted and positioned just in front and below the child’s ears. Helmets that are improperly positioned cannot protect the head. It might cause injury instead.
- As much as possible, your child must ride only indoors. Small hoverboards are sensitive to rough surfaces and might malfunction when ridden on them. It might stop abruptly and cause your child to fall. Rough surfaces also cause the hoverboard to vibrate. This can distract your child or affect his balance and cause an accident. If ever he rides outside, places with traffic must be avoided.
- Do not leave your child alone while charging the batteries of his hoverboard. Overcharging may cause the battery to explode and cause a fire. Best is keep your child away from the hover board while it is charging.
- Remind your child to remove pointed or hard items that he keeps in his pockets. A pointed object such as a sharp pencil or pen can cause serious injury if ever your child fall on them with force.
Hoverboards are not bad for your kids. However, they should understand how to use them properly and what precautions to take to avoid accidents.
How Much Do Hover Boards Cost?
How much do hover boards cost is a question no one can answer considering the fact that the real hover board, the one that can levitate, does not exist in the market yet. Prices of those that can be bought in the market range from $200 to more than a thousand.
When the average price of the hover board or self-balancing scooter is considered, it is more or less $400. For this amount, you get can get a fast device that has a good overall performance and performs well. If you want to add more features for a more thrilling and speedier ride, they are also available.
Hover boards that can travel through all kinds of terrain cost $899 on the average. With this kind of self-balancing scooter, you can ride over rough and grassy surfaces. It does not wobble nor vibrate when it encounters bumps.
This all-terrain hover board is ideal for people who want to have a personal transport in doing errands nearby or in going to their workplaces close to their neighborhood. It can go up to 20 miles an hour with longer battery life compared to the smaller ones.
Hover boards designed for children usually average $200 to $300 a piece, depending on additional features you might want. This is the 4.5 inch model that is readily available in the market. Since it is intended for small children, this hover board can only travel on smooth surfaces and is the ideal for indoor fun. It has low speed and shorter battery life compared to the bigger ones.
Of course, a hover board that can really levitate even just a few centimeters above ground can be very expensive. The one in existence costs just a tad below $15,000. It is dubbed the ArcaBoard and puts out 272 horsepower.
What contributes to the seemingly high cost of self-balancing scooters? One is the size. Hover boards with 6.5-, 8- and 10-inch wheel sizes cost more than those that are smaller.
Speed can affect how much you will need to pay for your hover board. Those that can go fast and cover longer distances at a single charge of the battery can be costlier than those that have low speed and with short distance coverage.
Hover boards designed for all kinds of terrain are of course more expensive than those that can only be ridden indoors or only on smooth grounds. These hover boards are just for fun or for making a few tricks while those that can tackle roads with potholes and bumps can be used as one’s personal transport and thus, will cost higher.
The fact that hover boards are designed in such a way that they can be used for many years is enough reason to buy one even at high prices. The existing ones do not see much change such as new models being released. In short, your hover board today will still be fashionable several years later.
Choosing the best hoverboard for your child can be daunting task especially if you’re looking for the safest model out there. To make things easier for you, make sure that any hoverboard you’ll consider is UL 2272 certified and that it’s been tested for fire and collision events. However, while a hoverboard can be equipped with the most advanced technology in safety, it is still on how your child takes care of their hoverboard that makes a huge difference. They should not leave it charging overnight to avoid fires and it will also help that they don’t immerse it in water at all.