The garden of any home is a treasure trove for young children. From the flowers that bloom that provide them with fantastic scents especially in the early mornings of Spring to the almost-prickly feeling of grass beneath their feet, the garden is a miniature world where many discoveries are simply awaiting to happen. There are insects like butterflies and bees for kids to marvel at as well as lady bugs and caterpillars to stimulate their interest. And if they really want to explore the entirety of the garden, kids will need the correct tools. These do not need to be the real things as we would really want them to enjoy what they are doing. So, here are the 10 best garden tools for kids in 2017 which should help you provide a more meaningful experience for them.
10 Best Garden Tools for Kids in 2017
- Kids Gardening Tool Set
- Melissa & Doug Sunny Patch Tootle Turtle Gardening Tote Set With Tools
- Gardening Tools for Kids with STEM Early Learning Guide by ROCA Home
- G & F 10018 JustForKids Kids Garden Tools Set
- Green Toys Watering Can Toy
- Kids Garden Tool Set with Tote
- Little Garden Tool Box 14pc Toy Gardening Tools Set for Kids
- G & F 10012 JustForKids Kids Garden Tools Set
- Melissa & Doug Sunny Patch Blossom Bright Gardening Tote Set With Tools
- Garden Wagon & Tools Toy Set for Kids with 8 Gardening Tools
How We Chose the Best Kiddie Garden Tools in Our List
Our primary concern in choosing the products to include in this listing was the safety of the kiddie garden tools. These must not, in any way, bring harm to our precious little ones. We would like them to appreciate what it’s like to work with grass, plants, insects, critters, and, of course, the earth. It is for this reason that the products we included are, first and foremost, toys or have toy-like features. This provides the element of fun in the gardening activity while retaining the functionality of the tool it represents.
It was therefore, important for us to look at the developmental appropriateness of such gadgets. We believe that older children will require more realistically designed instruments complete with more complex functions while younger children should be provided with simpler designs with simpler functions. This also goes hand in hand with the overall safety of the tool as older kids will already have the capacity to understand basic safety guidelines whereas younger children will be dependent on our supervision.
It was equally imperative for us to consider the company’s reputation or credibility. While we did consider the product’s consumer satisfaction rating, we had to correlate this with the soundness of the various feedbacks and comments from customers. These must jive. More importantly, these must both point to the classification of the product as a great kids gardening set.
Benefits of Gardening for Kids
Gardening is not just an activity that is enjoyed by adults. With the right encouragement and continuing motivation kids, too, can develop a liking to this outdoor activity. And why would you want your kid to be involved in such “dirty” work? Well, there are many benefits of gardening for children. Here are some of them.
- It encourages the use of all of the senses which can help in the enhancement of sensory processing and integration in the brain. This forms the foundation of optimum cognitive development.
- It fosters healthy eating habits especially if kids have been involved in the planting, growing, and harvesting of fruits and vegetables. They know that these foods must be good and healthy since they were the ones who planted and grew them.
- It refines the development of children’s fine motor skills. When kids do gardening, they have to use very fine motor movements to place seeds into the plots. They will also need fine motor skills to pull out weeds and pick fresh fruits from their stems.
- It’s a great way to introduce children to scientific concepts especially biology, botany, zoology, chemistry, and even physics. They may not realize the principles yet but with the correct instruction in class, they soon will.
- It teaches kids to be responsible especially in caring for their plants. From watering them to removing weeds and debris, it takes a great sense of responsibility to care for another living organism.
These are just some of the many benefits of gardening for children. The list can go on for miles.
The Bottom Line
The garden is a marvelous place to be in where kids can explore and discover a lot of things. With the 10 best garden tools for kids in 2017 you are essentially giving them the right implements to further their learning needs.