You have been invited to a baby shower and now you are fretting over what gifts you should give. While it is not really absolutely necessary that you bring and give gifts to the expectant mother, tradition has deemed it otherwise. Unfortunately, if you are not careful in your choice of baby shower gift, this might as well end up in the family’s stock room or even garage, never to be used.
That is why it is crucial to choose a gift that will not only celebrate the joys of impending motherhood but also helps ensure that it will be instrumental in the care of the growing baby. How? Allow us to help you.
- 1 Our Picks For The Top Baby Shower Gifts
- 2 Summer Infant Complete Nursery Care Kit
- 3 Summer Infant Complete Nursery Care Kit
- 4 VTech Sit-to-Stand Learning Walker
- 5 VTech Sit-to-Stand Learning Walker
- 6 Lamaze Peek-A-Boo Forest
- 7 Lamaze Peek-A-Boo Forest
- 8 Baby Starters Plush Snuggle Buddy , Sugar N Spice Doll
- 9 Baby Starters Plush Snuggle Buddy , Sugar N Spice Doll
- 10 Gund Winky Lamb Baby Rattle
- 11 Gund Winky Lamb Baby Rattle
- 12 Prank Pack Crib Dribbler
- 13 Prank Pack Crib Dribbler
- 14 Fly-love 5-Pair Newborn and Infant Socks
- 15 Fly-love 5-Pair Newborn and Infant Socks
- 16 Aveeno Baby Daily Bath Time Solutions Gift Set
- 17 Aveeno Baby Daily Bath Time Solutions Gift Set
- 18 Nuby Octopus Hoopla Bathtime Fun Toys
- 19 Nuby Octopus Hoopla Bathtime Fun Toys
- 20 Baby Deedee Sleep Nest Baby Sleeping Bag
- 21 Baby Deedee Sleep Nest Baby Sleeping Bag
- 22 Regalo My Cot Portable Bed
- 23 Regalo My Cot Portable Bed
- 24 Cozy Greens Backseat Car Organizer
- 25 Cozy Greens Backseat Car Organizer
- 26 XL Stroller Hook for Mommy by Toogli
- 27 XL Stroller Hook for Mommy by Toogli
- 28 Roewell Baby-Girls’ Hair Bows
- 29 Roewell Baby-Girls’ Hair Bows
- 30 Baby Aspen “Let the Fin Begin” Blue Terry Shark Robe
- 31 Baby Aspen “Let the Fin Begin” Blue Terry Shark Robe
- 32 Gerber Baby Unisex’ 19 Piece Baby Essentials Gift Set
- 33 Gerber Baby Unisex’ 19 Piece Baby Essentials Gift Set
- 34 Infant Optics DXR-8 Video Baby Monitor
- 35 Infant Optics DXR-8 Video Baby Monitor
- 36 Fisher-Price Rainforest Jumperoo
- 37 Fisher-Price Rainforest Jumperoo
- 38 The Very Hungry Caterpillar
- 39 The Very Hungry Caterpillar
- 40 VTech Musical Rhymes Book
- 41 VTech Musical Rhymes Book
Our Picks For The Top Baby Shower Gifts
- Summer Infant Complete Nursery Care Kit
- VTech Sit-to-Stand Learning Walker
- Lamaze Peek-A-Boo Forest
- Baby Starters Plush Snuggle Buddy , Sugar N Spice Doll
- Gund Winky Lamb Baby Rattle
- Prank Pack Crib Dribbler
- Fly-love 5-Pair Newborn and Infant Socks
- Aveeno Baby Daily Bath Time Solutions Gift Set
- Nuby Octopus Hoopla Bathtime Fun Toys
- Baby Deedee Sleep Nest Baby Sleeping Bag
- Regalo My Cot Portable Bed
- Cozy Greens Backseat Car Organizer
- XL Stroller Hook for Mommy by Toogli
- Roewell Baby-Girls’ Hair Bows
- Baby Aspen “Let the Fin Begin” Blue Terry Shark Robe
- Gerber Baby Unisex’ 19 Piece Baby Essentials Gift Set
- Infant Optics DXR-8 Video Baby Monitor
- Fisher-Price Rainforest Jumperoo
- The Very Hungry Caterpillar
- VTech Musical Rhymes Book
How We Chose the Popular and Useful Presents in Our List
Choosing the most useful baby shower gifts is unlike choosing the best baby toys. There are simply a lot of things that need to be considered. Nevertheless, our team of researchers toiled through shortlisting what we believe are positive to be the leading baby shower gifts you can ever give to an expecting mom.
We had to look at the usefulness of the baby shower item whether it can help Mom better care for her baby or it can help develop the sensorimotor and cognitive skills of her baby. We had to scrutinize each item and see it from the perspective of both the expectant mom and her baby. We also had to consider safety because this is a newborn baby we are talking here. Additionally, we also looked at the different reviews and customer feedbacks regarding the product before we rounded this up with a review of the company that manufactured the item.
We are hopeful that our perseverance will pay off in terms of helping you choose the correct baby shower gift for a friend or family member who is soon to become a mom.
Baby Showers: Understanding its True Essence
While the term “baby shower” is relatively new, its foundation has been around since ancient times. In fact, ancient Egyptians and Greeks were known to celebrate the birth of a child; although not in the way we perform and celebrate baby showers today. In the Victorian Era pregnant mothers kept their pregnancy a closely guarded secret for as long as possible. When the growing tummy can no longer be feasibly hidden, friends and guests would gather around and offer words of encouragement to the pregnant woman. Right after the Second World War, baby showers coincided with the baby boom as a means to help lessen the financial burden of having to buy infant care products. This tradition has survived up to this present day.
However, there is an ongoing debate as to whether the tradition needs to continue or should be scrapped altogether.
Some think that the real essence of baby showers has been ultimately lost because of the gift-giving. This is especially true when the gifts or presents given are not ultimately used by either the mother in caring for her baby or the baby himself or herself as he or she grows. There have also been issues of gift duplication whereby several guests gave exactly the same gift. Many believe that baby showers should retrace its roots in history as a celebration of the joys of motherhood in which only women have the physiologic capacity to do so. Showering the event with lavish gifts unfortunately drowns the real essence of the celebration as the mum-to-be is relegated to sitting on a chair opening the gifts and presents and not really being able to enjoy the company of close female friends and family members.
But there are also those who think that baby showers are a great way to economize as certain infant care products are not really cheap. And if someone has the heart to give them baby cribs, a stroller, or even several baby bottles as gifts, then why not? Unfortunately, this only reinforces the notion that baby showers are merely activities performed to get as many baby care products from other individuals absolutely free. The idea certainly doesn’t sit well with those who really feel that baby showers are a celebration of womanhood, of parenthood, and of motherhood; nothing else.
Personally, we love baby showers but the essence should be there. It should be more about celebrating the joys of impending motherhood and how one woman’s 9-month journey will soon culminate in the giving birth to a healthy addition to society. It is understandable to want to give gifts but it is equally important to choose those gifts that will really be useful in the care of the newborn baby.
This is the very same reason why we came up with the twenty baby shower gifts for the expecting mum because we know how frustrating it can be to be giving gifts that you don’t know will be useful or not. At the very least, you can be assured that our baby shower gift suggestions will be extremely helpful in the mom-to-be’s care of her baby.