Many parents believe that the home is one of the safest places for any young child. Unfortunately, the sad truth is that there are a lot of hazards at home which might not actually be safe for young children. If you have a child who is beginning to explore his or her surroundings, then you need to have a system in place that will somehow prevent him or her from exploring beyond what you think are safe areas. In such cases, you will definitely need baby gates as an integral component of child-proofing your home.
Now, there are a lot of children’s safety gates in the market. We have come up with a shortlist of the world’s top 10 baby gates we are optimistic will give you the peace of mind that you need for your children while they go on exploring the different parts of your house.
- 1 Evenflo Soft N Wide Gate
- 2 North States Deluxe Décor Gate
- 3 Summer Infant Metal Expansion Gate
- 4 Safety 1st Eco-Friendly Nature Next Bamboo Gate
- 5 Summer Infant Decorative Walk-Thru Gate
- 6 Summer Infant Retractable Gate
- 7 North States Easy Close Metal Gate
- 8 Munchkin Easy-Close Metal Safety Gate
- 9 North States Superyard Colorplay
- 10 Safety 1st Wide Doorways Fabric Gate
Our Picks For The Top Baby Gates For Child Safety
How We Chose the Top Infant Safety Gates in Our List
When it comes to our children’s safety at home, we can never really be complacent. That is why in coming up with our magic list of the top ten baby safety gates, we had to be doubly sure of what needs to be included.
Our researchers scoured the internet with all the possible safety gate mechanisms currently available. Unfortunately, it was impossible to individually test these products as doing so will be a logistical nightmare in itself. Nevertheless, we had to rely on other means with which to ascertain a product’s usefulness, quality, and overall safety to bring you only the best safety systems for children at home. For starters we had to closely examine the different features that have been built-in into the product. We then had to make a careful prediction of the possible implications of such features. We then had to compare it to the first-hand experiences of consumers who may have already used the product. This is one way to validate our assumptions about the overall quality of the safety gates in our list.
Believe us, it was never easy. But we knew it had to be done. That’s why we persevered to give you our take on the top 10 baby gates that will help protect your infant at home.
Safety Gates and Our Responsibility of Child-Proofing Our Homes
More and more families are recognizing the need to child-proof their homes. According to the Centers for Disease Control, there are over 9.2 million children who get treated in an emergency medical facility for unintentional injuries. These are injuries sustained from burns, falls, poisoning, drowning, suffocation, and those related to vehicular accidents. Among those cases that resulted in moderate to severe injuries but are not fatal, falls are a leading cause accounting for close to 3 million cases every year. More than 50 percent of fall victims were young children below 1 year of age. Falls was followed by being struck by or being hit with an object. Also noteworthy is that children below the age of 1 year had a significantly higher incidence of suffocation.
Child-proofing our homes, especially if we have very young children roaming the premises of our property, thus, becomes an important responsibility. The use of baby gates is just one of the ways in which we can child-proof our homes. These safety devices or systems effectively prevent children from going from one area of the house to another which can be considered as largely dangerous or risky.
For example, these devices can be placed in the doorway between your kid’s playroom and the kitchen or the dining room. We all know that the kitchen is not a really safe place for young children. Just imagine your baby crawling or even walking towards the kitchen and then reaching for whatever is on your countertop. You have a gas stove, an oven, or even sharp knives lying haphazardly on the counter. Now we don’t really have to tell you that this is dangerous because it should already be obvious. It’s just an example but we know you get the idea.
It should be clear that the use of safety baby gate systems is just one of the ways in which we can help prevent unintentional injuries among the youngest members of our families. That is why it is also crucial to look at the other ways or means in which we can help ensure the safety of our young kids. Here are some tips on how you can accomplish this.
- Look at Your Home from the Perspective of Your Baby – Standing upright and looking at the different parts of your house will give you a false sense of security simply because you are not looking at it from how your kid sees it. The best way to start child-proofing your home is to get down on your hands and knees and scan your surroundings so you will appreciate what your child actually sees whenever he or she performs his or her daily routine exploration. Another way to put it is to think like your child. If you were your kid, where will you go? What will arouse your curiosity? Do you think several electrical cables sprawled on the floor is safe to hold? How about coins and other loose items such as medicines, paper clips, beads, marbles, and other stuff? When you do get on your knees you will see what your child sees. This way, you can start child-proofing your home.
- Keep All Electrical Outlets Protected – Plug-in caps are essential to child-proofing your home; unless, your electrical outlets are located high up near the ceiling. Unfortunately, if your child is naturally curious, these plug-in caps might as well end up in your kid’s mouth. A safer alternative is for you to replace all of your electrical outlets with those that have a safety latch. As much as possible don’t use any extension outlets. But if this is unavoidable, then protect these as well.
- Fix Furniture and Other Heavy Fixtures onto the Floor or the Wall – One of the inherent dangers at home is children getting hit by falling objects or, worse, being hit by furniture or appliances that tip over. If at all possible, you may need to fasten or secure these objects to the floor or against the wall so they won’t be falling on top of your kid. Remember that young kids will be pulling on almost everything and anything they can hold on to as soon as they start crawling. Additionally, you have to make sure that all drawers of your cabinets and dressers are always kept closed. These can function as stairs for your children which can lead to injuries sustained from falls.
- Check Ties and Cords especially on Curtains and Blinds – The exposed ends of these ties or cords can potentially trap your child’s neck. As much as possible, cordless window coverings must be used.
- Secure every Window and Door in Your Home – Window guards or stops can be used to help prevent falls. Make sure that low windows cannot be opened more than 4 inches. Window stops can again be attached to help prevent windows from opening more than what is considered safe.
- Prevent Poisoning – Be always on the lookout for substances that are potentially hazardous to your child’s health. Check for lead, phthalates, and BPA as well as other harmful chemicals.
- Prevent Drowning – Never ever leave your child alone in the bath tub or even in parts of the home where there is considerable amount of water such as areas with buckets or basins filled with water.
These are just some of the things that we can do to help ensure our homes are safer for our children. On a more personal level, however, we honestly believe that nothing can beat greater vigilance on our part.
The Bottom Line
Safety baby gates are just one of the many ways we can help provide safer homes for our young kids. And with our list of the top 10 baby gates, we are positive you feel much more confident about keeping your children safe right in your own home.