Many parents believe that the home is one of the safest places for any young child. Unfortunately, the sad truth is that there are a lot of hazards at home which might not actually be safe for young children. If you have a child who is beginning to explore his or her surroundings, then you need to have a system in place that will somehow prevent him or her from exploring beyond what you think are safe areas. In such cases, you will definitely need baby gates as an integral component of child-proofing your home.
Now, there are a lot of children’s safety gates in the market. We have come up with a shortlist of the world’s top 10 baby gates we are optimistic will give you the peace of mind that you need for your children while they go on exploring the different parts of your house.
10 Best Baby Gates In 2017 For Child Safety
|Evenflo Soft and Wide Gate||Evenflo||5|
|Summer Infant Decorative Walk-Thru Gate||Summer Infant||4.9|
|Summer Infant Retractable Gate||Summer Infant||4.8|
|North States Supergate Easy Close Metal Gate||North States||4.7|
|Munchkin Easy-Close Metal Safety Gate||Munchkin||4.6|
|Safety 1st Nature Next Bamboo Gate||Safety 1st||4.5|
- 1 10 Best Baby Gates In 2017 For Child Safety
- 1.1 Soft and Wide Gate by Evenflo
- 1.2 Supergate Deluxe Décor Metal Gate by North States
- 1.3 Metal Expansion Gate by Summer Infant
- 1.4 Nature Next Bamboo Gate by Safety 1st
- 1.5 Decorative Wood and Metal Gate by Summer Infant
- 1.6 Retractable Gate by Summer Infant
- 1.7 Supergate Easy Close Metal Gate by North States
- 1.8 Easy Close Metal Safety Gate by Munchkin
- 1.9 SuperyardColorplay by North States
- 1.10 Wide Doorways Fabric Gate by Safety 1st
1Soft and Wide Gate by Evenflo
Measuring 27 inches tall and about 60 inches when fully expanded, Evenflo’sSoft and Wide Gate is ideal for hallways, doorways, and the bottom of the stairs. It is secured to opposing surfaces by pressure-mounted rubber bumpers. When not expanded, the Soft and Wide measures 38 inches across allowing it to be used on almost any passageway as long as it’s not more than 60 inches wide. The fabric can be easily removed from its frame and cleaned in your washing machine.
What We Like about It – Its ease of installation is simply superb. Additional pluses are its lightweight and versatile design. Unfortunately, it should never be used on top of any stair.
2Supergate Deluxe Décor Metal Gate by North States
If optimum safety and security without detracting from the aesthetics of your home is what you need, then the Supergate Deluxe Décor Metal Gate is the perfect solution. The system can be securely fastened or bolted onto any surface, flat or angled, to provide a secure mechanism that is up to 72 inches wide. The gate stands 30 inches tall and can fit into any passageway or opening that is at least 38.3 inches wide. It allows for easy opening and closing by adults but will make it extremely difficult for children to open.
What We Like about It – It can be bolted securely onto any sturdy surface. This alone is sufficient to provide optimum safety for young children. The addition of a separate panel is also remarkable so that you can fix it on almost any opening in your home.
3Metal Expansion Gate by Summer Infant
Featuring an easy to open, one-handed walk-through door, the Metal Expansion Gate is something that you would want to protect any openings that are as narrow as 44 inches or as wide as 72 inches. The mechanism stands a full 3 feet tall and both ends can be safely and securely bolted onto any surface for optimum security. The bottom rail is layered with a soft scratch guard material to help prevent scratches on hardwood floors. The design is also superbly aesthetic.
What We Like about It – Its sturdy construction is remarkable. Plus, the design of a one-handed walk-through is a feature that many parents will surely love.
4Nature Next Bamboo Gate by Safety 1st
If you don’t like safety access systems that are made of metal or fabric, then maybe you would be interested in 100 percent recycled plastic within a strong bamboo frame. If that is the case, then you need the Nature Next Bamboo Gate. This can be used to guard passageways from 28 to 42 inches wide. However, the height of the door may be an issue to some at only 2 feet. The pressure-mounted system allows for easy installation not requiring any tool.
What We Like about It – It’s a very unique system made of bamboo and recycled plastic. You cannot get any more ecologically friendly than this. Unfortunately, its pressure mounted system may be an issue to some.
5Decorative Wood and Metal Gate by Summer Infant
With doors that can swing in either direction, the Decorative Wood and Metal Gate is a remarkable piece of safety door for young children. Adults can easily operate the door mechanism using just one hand but it would be really difficult for children to do so. The system can fit into 36 to 60 inch wide openings and is about 32 inches tall. Its metal frame and wooden door panel also make for an ingenious design.
What We Like about It – The combination of wood and metal is really interesting. Its safety features also make it quite remarkable to use and help in protecting your kid from accidental injuries.
6Retractable Gate by Summer Infant
If you require a truly flexible yet sturdy safety door mechanism for kids you can place on top of the stairs, then your best solution is Summer Infant’s Retractable Gate. It comes with a very simple locking lever mechanism. It’s as simple as pushing the lever down to lock and pulling it up to open. It already comes with a baseboard kit to assist in the installation of its hardware mounted system. The Summer Infant Retractable can fit any opening no wider than 50 inches. It also stands 30 inches tall.
What We Like about It – The durable mesh fabric is fascinating as it can really improve the overall aesthetics of your home while also protecting your kid.
7Supergate Easy Close Metal Gate by North States
For openings that are 29.5 to 38.75 inches wide, you may want to have the Supergate Easy Close system. At 30 inches tall, it should provide the kind of protection that you want for your kids. It features a triple lock system that can be easily opened by Mom or Dad but will prove to be extremely difficult for babies to manipulate. The frame and extension panels are made of highly durable metal.
What We Like about It – Its simple operation is something to look forward to. Additionally, it already comes with 2 extension panels to fit any width of opening you have at home.
8Easy Close Metal Safety Gate by Munchkin
With a unique U-shaped steel frame, the Easy Close Metal Safety Gate is easily secured into place. It can fit any opening that is anywhere from 29.5 to 35 inches in width. The height of the Easy Close is 29.5 inches and, as the name implies, come with an easy-open double locking mechanism for Mom and Dad. However, it will be particularly challenging for children to open it.
What We Like about It – The simple design and easy lock and unlock mechanism are features we love. It’s also quite effective in keeping children safe.
9SuperyardColorplay by North States
Built like a colorful enclosure, the SuperyardColorplay is an entirely different kind of child safety device for the home. It’s like a huge cage ring where you place your kid’s play mat inside. The enclosure measures 34.45 square feet and is 26 inches high. The bottom of the rails is layered with non-slip pads to allow for excellent grip while also protecting your hardwood floor. The whole system can be easily folded and requires no assembly whatsoever.
What We Like about It – The enclosure system is truly unique. If you don’t mind seemingly putting your children in a cage, then this is for you.
10Wide Doorways Fabric Gate by Safety 1st
Don’t want metal in your safety gate? Then you need Safety 1st’s Wide Doorways Fabric Gate. It can be easily adjusted to fit any opening that is between 38 and 60 inches wide. The frame is made of durable plastic while the mesh fabric is soft yet very resilient. It can be easily mounted through its pressure mounting system so you don’t have to worry about not having the correct tools for installation. The height of the Wide Doorways is 27 inches.
What We Like about It – It’s flexible and easy to install. This means you can bring it with you to visit Grandma and still be confident about your kid being safe wherever he or she may be.
How We Chose the Top Infant Safety Gates in Our List
When it comes to our children’s safety at home, we can never really be complacent. That is why in coming up with our magic list of the top ten baby safety gates, we had to be doubly sure of what needs to be included.
Our researchers scoured the internet with all the possible safety gate mechanisms currently available. Unfortunately, it was impossible to individually test these products as doing so will be a logistical nightmare in itself. Nevertheless, we had to rely on other means with which to ascertain a product’s usefulness, quality, and overall safety to bring you only the best safety systems for children at home. For starters we had to closely examine the different features that have been built-in into the product. We then had to make a careful prediction of the possible implications of such features. We then had to compare it to the first-hand experiences of consumers who may have already used the product. This is one way to validate our assumptions about the overall quality of the safety gates in our list.
Believe us, it was never easy. But we knew it had to be done. That’s why we persevered to give you our take on the top 10 baby gates that will help protect your infant at home.
Safety Gates and Our Responsibility of Child-Proofing Our Homes
More and more families are recognizing the need to child-proof their homes. According to the Centers for Disease Control, there are over 9.2 million children who get treated in an emergency medical facility for unintentional injuries. These are injuries sustained from burns, falls, poisoning, drowning, suffocation, and those related to vehicular accidents. Among those cases that resulted in moderate to severe injuries but are not fatal, falls are a leading cause accounting for close to 3 million cases every year. More than 50 percent of fall victims were young children below 1 year of age. Falls was followed by being struck by or being hit with an object. Also noteworthy is that children below the age of 1 year had a significantly higher incidence of suffocation.
Child-proofing our homes, especially if we have very young children roaming the premises of our property, thus, becomes an important responsibility. The use of baby gates is just one of the ways in which we can child-proof our homes. These safety devices or systems effectively prevent children from going from one area of the house to another which can be considered as largely dangerous or risky.
For example, these devices can be placed in the doorway between your kid’s playroom and the kitchen or the dining room. We all know that the kitchen is not a really safe place for young children. Just imagine your baby crawling or even walking towards the kitchen and then reaching for whatever is on your countertop. You have a gas stove, an oven, or even sharp knives lying haphazardly on the counter. Now we don’t really have to tell you that this is dangerous because it should already be obvious. It’s just an example but we know you get the idea.
It should be clear that the use of safety baby gate systems is just one of the ways in which we can help prevent unintentional injuries among the youngest members of our families. That is why it is also crucial to look at the other ways or means in which we can help ensure the safety of our young kids. Here are some tips on how you can accomplish this.
- Look at Your Home from the Perspective of Your Baby – Standing upright and looking at the different parts of your house will give you a false sense of security simply because you are not looking at it from how your kid sees it. The best way to start child-proofing your home is to get down on your hands and knees and scan your surroundings so you will appreciate what your child actually sees whenever he or she performs his or her daily routine exploration. Another way to put it is to think like your child. If you were your kid, where will you go? What will arouse your curiosity? Do you think several electrical cables sprawled on the floor is safe to hold? How about coins and other loose items such as medicines, paper clips, beads, marbles, and other stuff? When you do get on your knees you will see what your child sees. This way, you can start child-proofing your home.
- Keep All Electrical Outlets Protected – Plug-in caps are essential to child-proofing your home; unless, your electrical outlets are located high up near the ceiling. Unfortunately, if your child is naturally curious, these plug-in caps might as well end up in your kid’s mouth. A safer alternative is for you to replace all of your electrical outlets with those that have a safety latch. As much as possible don’t use any extension outlets. But if this is unavoidable, then protect these as well.
- Fix Furniture and Other Heavy Fixtures onto the Floor or the Wall – One of the inherent dangers at home is children getting hit by falling objects or, worse, being hit by furniture or appliances that tip over. If at all possible, you may need to fasten or secure these objects to the floor or against the wall so they won’t be falling on top of your kid. Remember that young kids will be pulling on almost everything and anything they can hold on to as soon as they start crawling. Additionally, you have to make sure that all drawers of your cabinets and dressers are always kept closed. These can function as stairs for your children which can lead to injuries sustained from falls.
- Check Ties and Cords especially on Curtains and Blinds – The exposed ends of these ties or cords can potentially trap your child’s neck. As much as possible, cordless window coverings must be used.
- Secure every Window and Door in Your Home – Window guards or stops can be used to help prevent falls. Make sure that low windows cannot be opened more than 4 inches. Window stops can again be attached to help prevent windows from opening more than what is considered safe.
- Prevent Poisoning – Be always on the lookout for substances that are potentially hazardous to your child’s health. Check for lead, phthalates, and BPA as well as other harmful chemicals.
- Prevent Drowning – Never ever leave your child alone in the bath tub or even in parts of the home where there is considerable amount of water such as areas with buckets or basins filled with water.
These are just some of the things that we can do to help ensure our homes are safer for our children. On a more personal level, however, we honestly believe that nothing can beat greater vigilance on our part.
The Bottom Line
Safety baby gates are just one of the many ways we can help provide safer homes for our young kids. And with our list of the top 10 baby gates, we are positive you feel much more confident about keeping your children safe right in your own home.
Like What You See? Please Rate This Post And Let Us Know What You Think!