We all know how important nutrition is especially for the youngest members of our family. And while experts strongly advise on the use of breast milk as the exclusive source of nutrition of babies in the first 6 months of life, let us just accept the fact that not all of us are gifted with abundant supply of breast milk for that long. For most of us, the longest we can breastfeed is 3 months, 4 months tops. Additionally, women who have excellent professional careers, who will often find themselves up and running several months after giving birth, may not have the time to really sit down and provide a close maternal-infant breastfeeding experience for their babies. Either way, we need to look for infant milk formulations that are as close in nutritional and health value to breast milk; although we know there really is no sense comparing breast milk to any other milk. There simply is no substitute for the natural.
We are not espousing formula feeding, let us be clear about that. However, as we have already pointed out earlier, not everyone can breastfeed. So, this article is for those moms who would like to give their babies the best possible nutrition so they grow up to become healthier and more developmentally functional kids.
We will be sharing with you an in-depth presentation of the differences among the various baby formula brands. Hopefully, this will help you decide on which baby milk preparation you think will be best for your baby.
- 1 Abbott Similac Advance Infant Formula with OptiGro
- 2 Nutramigen with Enflora LGG Baby Formula
- 3 MeadJohnson Enfamil Infant Baby Formula
- 4 Gerber Good Start Soothe Non-GMO Powder Infant Formula
- 5 Abbott Sensitive Infant Formula with OptiGro
- 6 Babys Only Soy Organic Toddler Formula
- 7 MeadJohnson Enfamil Infant Baby Formula
- 8 Plum Organics Grow Well Organic Infant Formula
Our Picks Of The Top Formulas For Babies
How We Chose the Top Infant Milk Formulations in Our List
We are not nutritionists. Neither are we experts in the field of child’s nutrition. However, it is our passion and commitment to serve Moms and Dads out there to become better parents for their children that have motivated us to conduct a research into the top 10 instant milk preparations for infants or babies this 2016. It was a tough one but we were able to come up with a shortlist. And here’s how we did it.
First, we had to read a lot about infant nutrition and the best baby formula comparison is that of breast milk. We strongly believe in the fact that breast milk contains all the right nutrients and in the correct amounts especially geared for babies’ optimum development. We had to make sure that the nutrients found in breast milk are the standards to which the different baby formula brands have to be measured against. So, the closer the nutritional profile of the infant nutritional product to breast milk, the better are its chances of getting included in our top 10 list. Moreover, if there are additional nutrients that are not found in human breast milk, we had to study these ingredients and determine if they provide a significant developmental benefit to infants. If so, then these are also factored in. For example, soy formula will have a slightly different nutrient profile from cow’s milk although both are instant formula preparations. These examples of baby milk nutrient formulations will have a slightly healthier advantage to certain babies.
Next, we had to look at the company that manufactures these infant milk nutritional products. Some are well-known in child and infant nutrition while others are just beginning in this industry. We had to look at the manufacturing practices of these companies and whether their facilities have the necessary and appropriate certifications for producing nutritional products for babies.
Unfortunately, we cannot rely on customer feedback simply because, like us, their knowledge about infant nutrition and making baby formula comparison may be limited or perhaps even flawed. Our search for the top 10 baby milk brands has been one of the most objective researches we have ever undertaken. Nevertheless, we did it.
Breast Milk is Best for Babies, But…
As we have already said earlier, nothing beats the benefits children can derive from natural milk from Mom. Breast milk is well-known to:
- Provide young kids with the perfect and ideal mix of proteins, carbohydrates, and fats including vitamins and minerals necessary for healthy growth and development;
- Provide a form of nutrition that is easily digested so it’s friendly to your baby’s tummy;
- Contain maternal antibodies that help to protect children against certain bacteria and viruses that commonly infect children of young age;
- Lower the risk of allergies as well as asthma by strengthening the immune system’s ability to distinguish harmful substances from the not; and
- Lower the incidence of ear infections, diarrhea, and respiratory infections including colds and flu.
Moreover, breastfeeding has been documented to:
- Help improve the cognitive abilities of children, as measured by their IQ test scores;
- Help provide babies the sense of emotional security through the physical, skin-to-skin, and meaningful eye contact that occurs during breastfeeding; and
- Help ensure progressive and healthy weight gain of infants while also preventing the likelihood of obesity in the future.
Clearly, there are a lot of benefits to breastfeeding. However, not every Mommy can and should breastfeed. The following Mommies should never breastfeed their babies.
- Those who have been diagnosed with AIDS or are considered to be HIV-positive
- Those who have active as well as untreated tuberculosis
- Those who are receiving medications or treatment for cancer
- Those who are taking certain drugs used in the management or treatment of arthritis, migraine headaches, and/or Parkinson’s disease
- Those who are using illicit or illegal addicting substances such as heroin, marijuana, or cocaine
- Those who have babies who are diagnosed with galactosemia
Among mothers who cannot breastfeed because of certain conditions that prevent them from doing so, it can be an emotional burden. Moms only want the best for their children and everyone knows that breast milk is the best nutrition for children especially in the first 6 months of life. So, if they cannot breastfeed it can be particularly devastating. For mommies who are in this predicament, they can do the following to help them get over the fact that they cannot breastfeed.
- Don’t blame yourself for your inability to breastfeed. Situations like this happen a lot even to people who are deemed healthy. It is ok to be sad or even be mad but it should never take the energy off your task of caring for your baby. Remember, if you dwell on the negative emotion for so long, you might end up neglecting your infant.
- Take time to talk to a lactation expert about your feelings. They can provide you with additional tips on what you can do. Don’t underestimate the value of your spouse’s support or even your family’s assistance and your friends’ listening ears.
- Would you want to consider donated breast milk? There are milk banks throughout the nation that provides Moms with the breast milk they need to feed their kids even though, technically, the milk came from another Mom. You can talk to your baby’s pediatrician if it’s possible for you to use donated milk on your baby.
The Bottom Line
Infant nutrition is crucial to ensuring optimum child development. Breast milk provides the most complete nutrition for babies. Unfortunately, not everyone can or like to breastfeed. As such, our list of the top 10 infant milk formulations should be of great use.