One out of 10 children has some form of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, a great majority of whom – about two thirds – are boys. They are often described as having very short attention span, cannot focus on one particular task for so long, and often act without thinking. In many cases they are often viewed as very disruptive, often frowned upon by other parents who may not have an idea about what ADHD is all about. More often than not, the parents of children with ADHD are blamed for the supposed “misbehavior” of their kids. Unfortunately, nothing can be farther than the truth as science reveals ADHD has nothing to do with bad parenting. Although science suggests an organic cause, experts agree that behavioral therapy can help improve the outcomes of pharmacologic therapy. One of the most effective ways to manage such “behavior” is by reorganizing the child’s environment coupled with a restructuring of commands and directions. Giving them any of these 10 awesome ADHD toys in 2017 can also help as it gives them the opportunity to be interested in the activity for significantly longer periods of time.
- 1 Kinetic Sand
- 2 Super Z Outlet Liquid Motion Bubbler
- 3 Perplexus Original
- 4 Spirograph Deluxe Design Set
- 5 Koosh Ball
- 6 VIAHART Brain Flakes 500 Piece Interlocking Plastic Disc Set
- 7 Tangle Jr. Textured Sensory Fidget Toy
- 8 Simon Electronic Memory Game
- 9 Kendama USA Classic – Green
- 10 Cevinee Extra Strong Fidget Toys – Sensory Fidgets
Our Picks Of The Top ADHD Toys For Kids:
How We Chose the Best Toys for Kids with ADHD in Our List
We are not health care experts nor are we highly knowledgeable about the intricacies of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. We simply cannot randomly pick products to include in this particular list as this will go against our vision and philosophy of providing you only with the most credible and most relevant products for your kids and the rest of your family. For this article, we enlisted the guidance of an expert in ADHD cases to give us a crash course on what the disease is all about and the principles of behavior therapy. Specifically, we sought direction on what type of toys can be considered to be effective in providing order in the life of an ADHD child. While we were told that there are no 100 percent guarantees that such toys will work 100 percent all the time, we found comfort in the assurance that for those who do respond to such behavioral play therapy have shown considerable progress in terms of the number of ADHD symptoms presented. With this information, we were able to set out on our mission to provide you with 10 awesome ADHD toys in 2017.
We looked at the personal experiences of consumers who have kids with the condition. We reviewed their experiences and determined recurring themes in their feedbacks and comments. We wanted to find out if these toys are indeed effective in managing the symptoms of ADHD or at least help provide for a more manageable behavior among their wards. Only those that have favorable outcomes were included in the shortlist. This served as our springboard for a more thorough evaluation which comprised of an assessment of the inherent characteristics or features of the toy. It was imperative that we have a very comprehensive understanding of how such toys will benefit kids with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder.
While these products have already been determined to be effective, we still had to ascertain their safety as well as age- and developmental- appropriateness. This was more a matter of our routine checks for the choice of appropriate toys.
Tips to Helping Your Child with ADHD
Families with members who have attention deficit hyperactivity disorder often ask how to care for kids with ADHD. Many believe that it is brought about by bad parenting. However, recent studies show that the condition has nothing to do with parenting. Nevertheless, parenting can have an impact on the management of the kid’s behavior. Here are some ADHD parenting tips to help your kid live with the disorder.
- Establish a routine which you and your kid can follow every single day. You may need to post reminders or the schedule itself in a place in your home where it will be clearly visible to your child.
- If your child is performing a certain task, avoid distractions at all cost. If this is not possible, try to minimize them. If your kid is doing his or her homework, then no unnecessary distractions are a must to help his or her brain focus on the task at hand.
- Try limiting his or her choices. Giving too many options often overwhelms kids and can lead to overstimulation. This makes them jump from one task to the other without completing the first one. Limiting the choices to two also helps limit the tendency to be overwhelmed.
- Use time-outs as well as loss of privileges instead of spanking or yelling as a disciplinary method during instances of inappropriate behavior. This is especially true for older kids. For younger ones, distraction typically helps.
- Use positive reinforcements to teach your kid that doing the desirable behavior begets rewards. However, just make sure that the goals you’ve set are realistic, too.
- Encourage your kid to discover his or her talents or skills. This can boost their self-esteem which can do a lot of good to their psyche.
The Bottom Line
Caring for a family member who has ADHD can be taxing to everyone in the family. Thankfully, you don’t need to do it alone as our 10 awesome ADHD toys in 2017 are here to help you in this pursuit.